Sunday, January 4, 2009

Two Things

First, I’ve been reading two books recently that I taught I’d recommend, if you have some time for some reading. The first one, which I just finished, is entitled Shepherding a Child’s Heart by Tedd Tripp. His main point is to make his reader really consider what it is we want for our children. If we had one goal for them, what would it be? Would it be success or happiness (however one defines those terms)? Or would it be something else? He then argues that the only thing that is worthy of a goal for our children is to know and glorify God and enjoy Him forever. I would agree with him. While I might not go as far as he does in every respect, most of what he has to say is good, solid parenting advice. I liked his chapters on implementing his ideas with young children (5-12 year olds) and teens. Very solid advice there. The other book, which I have just started, is entitled Genesis Unbound by an Old Testament scholar John Sailhammer. He is attempting to show that one need not choose between creation and science. His book addresses the issue from a textual or linguistic approach. His main question is, what does the Hebrew of Genesis 1 actually say? Thus far, he answer has been very interesting. From what I’ve read, he might be onto something. Basically, he shows that the Hebrew word, reshit, in Genesis 1:1, which we translate beginning, can really mean something far more indefinite than the way many people interpret it. The word, reshit, can literally mean (and often is used to mean) an indefinite period of time. So, what he is saying is that Genesis 1:1 might not be conveying the idea of instantaneous creation, like boom and everything looks like it has been there functioning for millions or billions of years. Instead, God could have been creating the universe (which probably includes animal and plant life) for years and years before He began his specific work of creating the land (which was made specifically for man/Adam and woman/Eve) in Genesis 1:2. More to come on this.


Second, today, I heard, maybe, the best sermon I’ve ever heard. Many of you have heard and sang the old hymn, “Rock of Ages.” If you haven’t, here are the words:


Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee;
Let the water and the blood,
From Thy wounded side which flowed,
Be of sin the double cure;
Save from wrath and make me pure.

Not the labor of my hands
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to the cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Savior, or I die.

While I draw this fleeting breath,
When mine eyes shall close in death,
When I soar to worlds unknown,
See Thee on Thy judgment throne,
Rock of Ages, cleft for me,
Let me hide myself in Thee


Now, if you’ve ever wondered where the hymn writer came up with those lyrics, turn to the last few verses of Exodus 33 and the beginning of chapter 34. Make sure to read the entire chapter and then to recall the context of the passage. Moses had just been receiving the Law (Ten Commandments) from God on Mount Sinai and he returns to the people to find them in what basically amounts to a drunken orgy and worshiping a golden baby cow (seriously…that’s what happened). Moses had only been gone for forty days. Then we get to chapter 33. God decides that the people can go on to the land, but He is not going with them. In fact, if He presented Himself to them, they would have been consumed. So, Moses then intercedes for the people and pleads with God to go with them. It is at this point he asks a powerful question and makes a bold request. In verse 16, he asks, “For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people? Is it not in your going with us (your presence), so that we are distinct, I and your people, from every other people on the face of the earth?” I would encourage everyone to consider Moses’ question carefully. In reality, he is asking the question, “Without God, what’s the point?” That, my friends, is a good question and one we should all answer. Thinking about it in the context of my own life, I am about to begin an exciting time. I’m almost done with school and will soon begin (I hope) my vocation. But, what will it matter if I do it apart from God’s presence in my life. Remembering, of course, that this is the same God who led Israel out of Egypt from slavery to the promised land…the same God who created the heavens and earth, the universe and all that is in it…the same God who sent His only begotten Son, Jesus Christ, to save the world (literally the universe) from it fallenness. Yeah, I’m pretty sure I need His presence in my life. Knowing all that, thinking that is enough, Moses then asks for more. He says, in verse 18, “Please show me your glory.” Now that is a request. And, God consents, only with conditions. This is, of course, where the writer of “Rock of Ages” gets the important material for his hymn. God says, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘THE LORD’…But, you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live…Behold there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, and while my glory passes by I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but may face shall not be seen.”




No comments:

Post a Comment